It's been a week since we released Tamasoma to YouTube audience and since then it has been a roller-coaster ride with mixed feelings. I find this phase very entertaining, enlightening and worth sharing. Here's my account.
When I embarked on this journey, I had 3 story points to turn into films and took the most simple and straightforward script for Tamasoma because I knew the first attempt would be a learning curve. Hence the story had only 4-5 characters, limited locations and duration. I didn't intend to create any ripples nor submit my work to sundance film festival. I basically wanted to learn how to present an idea in a cinematic way in the most engaging way possible without boring the audience.
I heard many accounts of feedback - both positive and negative from people I know and others too. The criticism was majorly around bad dubbing and audio quality or screenplay of the last 10 minutes but almost everybody agreed that the story, concept engaged them and they enjoyed the unpredictable twists. Everybody unanimously agreed that I could hook them up for 40 minutes without distraction. THAT'S MY SUCCESS.
After I took up this journey, at least 50 people told me that they always wanted to make short films, skits or feature films but they could never begin due to whatever reasons they had. I had my own reasons too, but I broke through the barriers, wrote, narrated, directed, produced and promoted a product which was born out of my mind. THAT'S MY SUCCESS.
We are glad that we could stand up to our first marketing slogan that this was the story never been told in world cinema and we are proud of it.
When I saw the aggressive tirade by makers of "ee nagaraniki emaindi", "veera bhoga vasantha rayalu" against reviewers, I was amused. If a person delivered a creative product for public consumption in a public domain, they should be ready to accept any criticism. Hence I was more than willing to listen to constructive criticism about my first attempt.
Also I don't understand filmmakers who get annoyed by criticism and reviews by those who never held a camera nor shot a home video. Talking of analogies, when we go to a restaurant we would review the taste of food even if we can't cook. Same logic applies here. Those who critique films don't need to be knowledgeable about film making. For me, criticism is not bad. Actually that's more important than praises because that's how I can think from audience's perspective and learn what not to repeat in the future.
But yeah, those critics can't make even a fraction of what film makers do is a different afterthought though. Nevertheless there are always few negative people who want to humiliate and slander and I refuse to acknowledge their existence.
Bad Dubbing:
The unanimously raised point was the bad audio quality and poor dubbing. I totally agree with everybody. Here is what happened: We initially thought sync sound would be too difficult logistically and went ahead with an idea of ADR (dubbing). Since it was a 40 minute movie and we had only a handful of characters, we borrowed a radio station for 4 hours thinking we could finish the dubbing off. But for our surprise, it took around 4-5 hours for each actor. That was harrowing. The studio team would have agreed if it was a couple of more hours but 30 hours against 4 hours of earlier approved time was way out of line and I didn't want to trouble them because the inconvenience was evident.
The biggest mistake at that point was not to hire a professional studio for the remainder of dubbing because I thought we could do the rest at home with a microphone and a voice recording software set. Then I started traveling to all actors' houses to get their dubbing done. While the actors did their best, I was a novice in sound management and didn't realize that microphone also captured AC, furnace motor and other unwanted ambiance sounds as well and the end audio had a disturbing hush along with their voices. I asked my BGM director to remove the hush and he warned me about implications. I insisted and he did something and in the process lost some voice textures too, in addition to losing BGM effects as well. It was 40 hours of recording, traveling, post production sound design (more than shooting time) which went into a monumental waste. I was dejected but could do very less because it was too late to re-dub and I didn't want to trouble actors who already worked for free. Then there was a huge issue of lip sync and getting the right emotions while dubbing.
The final nail on the coffin was that iDream guys compressed the 41 minute movie to 39 minute video including their own animations thus compressing the entire audio and video quality making the negative feedback inevitable.
Bad Screenplay:
While many lauded our product and were lenient because it was my first attempt, few correctly pointed at the incoherent screenplay and fast flowing scenes especially towards climax. I identified that in rushes and hence posted a poll on my FB if I should release or not. I was in two minds but then released it because the output involved hard work of other people involved.
I earlier wrote my story and dialogues and started filming some scenes with just those dialogues without proper screenplay. Towards the end, I learnt screenplay techniques and reshot many scenes and hence you might find few scenes came out well while few others came and went in a flicker before you could register what's going on. That's a notebook case study for bad screenplay.
Behind every 1 minute of film you watch on screen, there were 2 hours of shooting and 2 more hours of pre-production and post production. Unfortunately, thanks to my inexperience, I could realize mistakes committed during shooting only at the editing stage when my editor asked if I had some important extra footage and b-roll...and I didn't have any. So the editor had to mix and match the available footage and deliver the product. Earlier I edited music video reprisals but working with him taught me many intricacies of editing.
Performances:
Debutante actors performed better than their best and got overwhelming appreciation from all corners. If there was any such scene where the audience felt actors could have performed differently, the onus lies upon me because I should have asked them for a retake if I was not satisfied. They performed as many times and in as many variations as I requested from them.
Others:
Few friends advised me to employ multi camera setup, dolly movements, drone sequences in the movie. The camera angles and techniques employed during Tamasoma were deliberate. If you notice, I used all the aforementioned techniques in my other music video reprisals and also tried here but felt not suitable for the screenplay and dialogue narrative. Yet, your feedback is valued and will make sure you will enjoy my next output.
I took up camera and film making as an active hobby and a borderline passion and not as a career. I would continue to make more movies, videos as long as I get ideas that blow my mind, as long as my wife and friends who share my passion are willing to collaborate and as long as my parents and family join me through the process.
Few well wishers warned me that film industry is not known to "give chances" to outsiders and I should make more love stories or comedy to get more chances. I seldom ask for chances from anybody and I would only collaborate with those who want to join aboard my vision. I don't find love stories and boy meets girl kind of sagas interesting and don't intend to be a drop in the flood of short films and movies that pass us everyday. I would initiate something only when the plot blows my mind. And I found two such plots.
While I would want to reserve the best plot I devised for a theatrical release feature film sometime in the near future, there is another interesting plot which I'll roll-out soon as my second short film. The story will have more characters, longer duration, more action visuals, less conversations and I promise to overcome blunders I committed in Tamasoma. The title would be "Asatoma" and is not related to "Tamasoma" in any way.
Those who watched Tamasoma would know that I left all characters as open ended and nobody was shown as dead (may be except one). All the loose ends would be connected in a more unthinkable way in Tamasoma-2 which will be a limited and private release to those who enjoyed Tamasoma-1.
In addition, we are planning to roll-out three different weekly talk shows about three completely unrelated topics. My wife will helm two of those and I would take up the third one. Will begin those too as limited releases to gauge the reaction before releasing it on YouTube. Interested people can join our private audience list.
I wholeheartedly thank everybody who took time to watch Tamasoma and acknowledge the beginning of my new journey. Thanks and love to those who liked it and to those who had all kind words for me and the team. Thanks a ton to everybody in cast and crew who believed in my vision. Thanks to everybody in and beyond the team who have been promoting the movie to help me expand my horizons. Thank you so much to all those who gave me honest reviews and areas of improvement. You took time to analyze and tell me those points proving that you care.
To those who haven't caught up with the movie, you are welcome to check it out on my facebook timeline or search for tamasoma+cutmirchi on youtube. Those who ignored it, I'll try harder next time to gain your attention. And to all those who don't intend to watch (or pretending not to) - wishing you peace !
Shalom until 'Asatoma' !
When I embarked on this journey, I had 3 story points to turn into films and took the most simple and straightforward script for Tamasoma because I knew the first attempt would be a learning curve. Hence the story had only 4-5 characters, limited locations and duration. I didn't intend to create any ripples nor submit my work to sundance film festival. I basically wanted to learn how to present an idea in a cinematic way in the most engaging way possible without boring the audience.
The Good
I read many books and watched videos about film making where gurus advised not to introduce the major plot incident right in the first scene because that would require a director to engage the audience continuously thereafter without tiring them. But with Tamasoma, I deliberately defied that rule and tested myself if I could deliver a 40 minute saga without losing audience's interest despite a major incident right in the opening scene.I heard many accounts of feedback - both positive and negative from people I know and others too. The criticism was majorly around bad dubbing and audio quality or screenplay of the last 10 minutes but almost everybody agreed that the story, concept engaged them and they enjoyed the unpredictable twists. Everybody unanimously agreed that I could hook them up for 40 minutes without distraction. THAT'S MY SUCCESS.
After I took up this journey, at least 50 people told me that they always wanted to make short films, skits or feature films but they could never begin due to whatever reasons they had. I had my own reasons too, but I broke through the barriers, wrote, narrated, directed, produced and promoted a product which was born out of my mind. THAT'S MY SUCCESS.
We are glad that we could stand up to our first marketing slogan that this was the story never been told in world cinema and we are proud of it.
The Bad
When I saw the aggressive tirade by makers of "ee nagaraniki emaindi", "veera bhoga vasantha rayalu" against reviewers, I was amused. If a person delivered a creative product for public consumption in a public domain, they should be ready to accept any criticism. Hence I was more than willing to listen to constructive criticism about my first attempt.
Also I don't understand filmmakers who get annoyed by criticism and reviews by those who never held a camera nor shot a home video. Talking of analogies, when we go to a restaurant we would review the taste of food even if we can't cook. Same logic applies here. Those who critique films don't need to be knowledgeable about film making. For me, criticism is not bad. Actually that's more important than praises because that's how I can think from audience's perspective and learn what not to repeat in the future.
But yeah, those critics can't make even a fraction of what film makers do is a different afterthought though. Nevertheless there are always few negative people who want to humiliate and slander and I refuse to acknowledge their existence.
Bad Dubbing:
The unanimously raised point was the bad audio quality and poor dubbing. I totally agree with everybody. Here is what happened: We initially thought sync sound would be too difficult logistically and went ahead with an idea of ADR (dubbing). Since it was a 40 minute movie and we had only a handful of characters, we borrowed a radio station for 4 hours thinking we could finish the dubbing off. But for our surprise, it took around 4-5 hours for each actor. That was harrowing. The studio team would have agreed if it was a couple of more hours but 30 hours against 4 hours of earlier approved time was way out of line and I didn't want to trouble them because the inconvenience was evident.
The biggest mistake at that point was not to hire a professional studio for the remainder of dubbing because I thought we could do the rest at home with a microphone and a voice recording software set. Then I started traveling to all actors' houses to get their dubbing done. While the actors did their best, I was a novice in sound management and didn't realize that microphone also captured AC, furnace motor and other unwanted ambiance sounds as well and the end audio had a disturbing hush along with their voices. I asked my BGM director to remove the hush and he warned me about implications. I insisted and he did something and in the process lost some voice textures too, in addition to losing BGM effects as well. It was 40 hours of recording, traveling, post production sound design (more than shooting time) which went into a monumental waste. I was dejected but could do very less because it was too late to re-dub and I didn't want to trouble actors who already worked for free. Then there was a huge issue of lip sync and getting the right emotions while dubbing.
The final nail on the coffin was that iDream guys compressed the 41 minute movie to 39 minute video including their own animations thus compressing the entire audio and video quality making the negative feedback inevitable.
Bad Screenplay:
While many lauded our product and were lenient because it was my first attempt, few correctly pointed at the incoherent screenplay and fast flowing scenes especially towards climax. I identified that in rushes and hence posted a poll on my FB if I should release or not. I was in two minds but then released it because the output involved hard work of other people involved.
I earlier wrote my story and dialogues and started filming some scenes with just those dialogues without proper screenplay. Towards the end, I learnt screenplay techniques and reshot many scenes and hence you might find few scenes came out well while few others came and went in a flicker before you could register what's going on. That's a notebook case study for bad screenplay.
Behind every 1 minute of film you watch on screen, there were 2 hours of shooting and 2 more hours of pre-production and post production. Unfortunately, thanks to my inexperience, I could realize mistakes committed during shooting only at the editing stage when my editor asked if I had some important extra footage and b-roll...and I didn't have any. So the editor had to mix and match the available footage and deliver the product. Earlier I edited music video reprisals but working with him taught me many intricacies of editing.
Performances:
Debutante actors performed better than their best and got overwhelming appreciation from all corners. If there was any such scene where the audience felt actors could have performed differently, the onus lies upon me because I should have asked them for a retake if I was not satisfied. They performed as many times and in as many variations as I requested from them.
Others:
Few friends advised me to employ multi camera setup, dolly movements, drone sequences in the movie. The camera angles and techniques employed during Tamasoma were deliberate. If you notice, I used all the aforementioned techniques in my other music video reprisals and also tried here but felt not suitable for the screenplay and dialogue narrative. Yet, your feedback is valued and will make sure you will enjoy my next output.
The Future
I took up camera and film making as an active hobby and a borderline passion and not as a career. I would continue to make more movies, videos as long as I get ideas that blow my mind, as long as my wife and friends who share my passion are willing to collaborate and as long as my parents and family join me through the process.
Few well wishers warned me that film industry is not known to "give chances" to outsiders and I should make more love stories or comedy to get more chances. I seldom ask for chances from anybody and I would only collaborate with those who want to join aboard my vision. I don't find love stories and boy meets girl kind of sagas interesting and don't intend to be a drop in the flood of short films and movies that pass us everyday. I would initiate something only when the plot blows my mind. And I found two such plots.
While I would want to reserve the best plot I devised for a theatrical release feature film sometime in the near future, there is another interesting plot which I'll roll-out soon as my second short film. The story will have more characters, longer duration, more action visuals, less conversations and I promise to overcome blunders I committed in Tamasoma. The title would be "Asatoma" and is not related to "Tamasoma" in any way.
Those who watched Tamasoma would know that I left all characters as open ended and nobody was shown as dead (may be except one). All the loose ends would be connected in a more unthinkable way in Tamasoma-2 which will be a limited and private release to those who enjoyed Tamasoma-1.
In addition, we are planning to roll-out three different weekly talk shows about three completely unrelated topics. My wife will helm two of those and I would take up the third one. Will begin those too as limited releases to gauge the reaction before releasing it on YouTube. Interested people can join our private audience list.
The Conclusion
I wholeheartedly thank everybody who took time to watch Tamasoma and acknowledge the beginning of my new journey. Thanks and love to those who liked it and to those who had all kind words for me and the team. Thanks a ton to everybody in cast and crew who believed in my vision. Thanks to everybody in and beyond the team who have been promoting the movie to help me expand my horizons. Thank you so much to all those who gave me honest reviews and areas of improvement. You took time to analyze and tell me those points proving that you care.
To those who haven't caught up with the movie, you are welcome to check it out on my facebook timeline or search for tamasoma+cutmirchi on youtube. Those who ignored it, I'll try harder next time to gain your attention. And to all those who don't intend to watch (or pretending not to) - wishing you peace !
Shalom until 'Asatoma' !
1 comment:
There is a learning in the good,the bad and what future may bring - keep it going and good luck Chandu :-)
Post a Comment