For the last 36 hours, the whole nation has been in a state of ecstasy and thats not going to die down anytime in the near future. So is my case. I'm in the victory hangover and have no intentions of coming out of that. When I saw news channels, I understood how the whole nation of 1.2 billion and diaspora of 30 millions NRIs throughout the world are in a rage of uncontrollable and insane joy and happiness. Now a quick question. Do you remember any other day on which the whole country was so elated with genuine, selfless and heartfelt pride ???
I know you can't remember, so can't I. I guess the previous such occasion was when India attained its freedom in 1947. Its neither an exaggeration nor a literary rhetoric. A victory in a tournament has swayed 1/4th of the world's population in such a way that many of them can easily say thats the happiest day in their lives. Nobody minded being a Gachibowli Diwakar or an Anupam Kher of Darr :) Wearing an Indian team jersey or holding an Indian flag was being considered to be a privilege. Tears of joy, chants of Indiaaaaaa India were omnipresent. All this for a simple win ?? No..
This win has brought a kind of pride in every Indian (including those NRIs who don't really like associating themselves with India). This win has put Indians on a pedestal where others can't reach. This win has asserted domination over other playing nations and ex-champions. This win has bolstered the patriotism that gets generated whenever a team of 11 guys enters the field with INDIA written on their jerseys. This win has upheld the belief of millions who prayed, followed rituals, sentiments for a cause which will no way benefit them. This win has brought every Indian together irrespective of religion, region, intellect, language, status or other barriers especially when everything else in political and other lines was going bad. This win has created a euphoria of national integration. This win has proved a point that INDIA IS THE BEST. So, its not just about a win in cricket.
Like we see morons opposing or criticizing every celebration of a positive vibe, there were few (like Ramgopal Varma) who either want to make some stupid impression by being "different" or don't know how to take pride in such things. But as I said, they are MORONS and matter ends there :)
Coming to my story of enjoyment, it had no bounds. I was closely following most of the matches in the tournament in general and matches India played in particular. Difference in time zones made me go to bed early and wake up by 4 or 5 am, which I would not have done otherwise even if my career or anything else was at stake. So that explains everything.
The last few days since quarterfinals were like festival or a household function which pulled me into this high spirits, sleepless nights, obsession and anticipation. Matches against Australia and Pakistan made me go weak in knees and the finals almost took my breath away. I hardly sat at once place and in the later stages of the match, I hardly sat at all. Cheering went berserk, screamed at the top of my voice till it went mute, brandished my fist till it pained. My white neighbors too cheered for India to show their solidarity, but most of them don't know that Canada too played in the tournament :D. I want to return their favor by wishing Canada to reach finals in the next world cup (only to get defeated by India in the finals). I know that wouldn't happen and my white friends can wait for their lifetime :)
Facebook cheering multiplied the excitement and made me feel like cheering with all my loved ones in a single place. My family (mom, wife, sister, mardal, bava) joined me in this e-cheering along with all my loved cousins and friends. Simply enjoyed it. Those who missed this Facebook cheering part missed a lot.
Coming to the match itself; like the whole country, I too felt so happy for Sachin. He deserves this and the better thing is the whole team were united, charged and motivated to gift these winning moments to the immortal stalwart. The tears which stayed in my eyes after winning, rolled down seeing Yuvi, Dhoni, Sachin, Bhajji cry. I didn't mind crying for this reason. If I remember, the last time I broke into tears was some 14 years back when I got EAMCET results :D
I'm so happy for captain cool as he needed that knock badly. After teaching India how to make winning a habit by getting T20 championship, ICC test ranking - 1, ICC ODI ranking - 2 (now 1:) under his leadership, and after proving what he is made of on and behind wickets, he still needed to make some runs to prove his mettle. Critics who have seen bad phases of demigods like Gavaskar and Tendulkar didn't realize the age old cliche that form is temporary but class is permanent. 11 members can play but captain is a joining thread and if anybody deserves the credit for world cup victory, its him for his team selection, field placement, order shuffling and above all his leadership and driving the unity and momentum, period ! Gary Kirsten's services were priceless too.
Sachin and Sehwag with their intimidating starts,Yuvi with his purple patch, Zak with his deadly missiles, Gambhir, Kohli and Raina with electric fielding and dependable middle order consolidation, Ashwin, Nehra, Munaf, Bhajji who proved that bowling is not India's weakness, taught the world what wonders can teamwork do. Sreesanth, Piyush, Yousuf can be forgiven in this utopia :).
Going back to my post match revelry, I was never so dotty is an understatement :) I violated all traffic rules, jumped signals, honked like crazy for no reason, hopped with joy, jumped with ecstasy, hugged some 100 people, screamed at every Indian looking guy, distributed sweets (bought at Sri Lankan store), shouted at my loudest voice before TV cameras. To keep it short, I was WILD.
I so wanted to write this post in the blog since yesterday but I was too busy with celebrations. Lot of my friends and cousins reminded me repeatedly to document the day in blog which I felt very sweet and humbling. Guys, this is for you. I was so surprised to see that my previous article Bleed Blue - De Ghumake gathered a whopping 263 views in 3 days, more than that of any of my previous articles. I'm sure a lot of them might have thought that article was about World Cup Victory. This post is also for them all :)
Till yesterday my Hawaii recount article was the most viewed article of the blog which had to bow to the cricket maniac world of readers :)
To conclude, just wanted to keep you informed that Bleed Blue became Bled Blue; De Ghumaake became Diya Ghumake; and I'm Loving It :))
I know you can't remember, so can't I. I guess the previous such occasion was when India attained its freedom in 1947. Its neither an exaggeration nor a literary rhetoric. A victory in a tournament has swayed 1/4th of the world's population in such a way that many of them can easily say thats the happiest day in their lives. Nobody minded being a Gachibowli Diwakar or an Anupam Kher of Darr :) Wearing an Indian team jersey or holding an Indian flag was being considered to be a privilege. Tears of joy, chants of Indiaaaaaa India were omnipresent. All this for a simple win ?? No..
This win has brought a kind of pride in every Indian (including those NRIs who don't really like associating themselves with India). This win has put Indians on a pedestal where others can't reach. This win has asserted domination over other playing nations and ex-champions. This win has bolstered the patriotism that gets generated whenever a team of 11 guys enters the field with INDIA written on their jerseys. This win has upheld the belief of millions who prayed, followed rituals, sentiments for a cause which will no way benefit them. This win has brought every Indian together irrespective of religion, region, intellect, language, status or other barriers especially when everything else in political and other lines was going bad. This win has created a euphoria of national integration. This win has proved a point that INDIA IS THE BEST. So, its not just about a win in cricket.Like we see morons opposing or criticizing every celebration of a positive vibe, there were few (like Ramgopal Varma) who either want to make some stupid impression by being "different" or don't know how to take pride in such things. But as I said, they are MORONS and matter ends there :)
Coming to my story of enjoyment, it had no bounds. I was closely following most of the matches in the tournament in general and matches India played in particular. Difference in time zones made me go to bed early and wake up by 4 or 5 am, which I would not have done otherwise even if my career or anything else was at stake. So that explains everything.
The last few days since quarterfinals were like festival or a household function which pulled me into this high spirits, sleepless nights, obsession and anticipation. Matches against Australia and Pakistan made me go weak in knees and the finals almost took my breath away. I hardly sat at once place and in the later stages of the match, I hardly sat at all. Cheering went berserk, screamed at the top of my voice till it went mute, brandished my fist till it pained. My white neighbors too cheered for India to show their solidarity, but most of them don't know that Canada too played in the tournament :D. I want to return their favor by wishing Canada to reach finals in the next world cup (only to get defeated by India in the finals). I know that wouldn't happen and my white friends can wait for their lifetime :)
Facebook cheering multiplied the excitement and made me feel like cheering with all my loved ones in a single place. My family (mom, wife, sister, mardal, bava) joined me in this e-cheering along with all my loved cousins and friends. Simply enjoyed it. Those who missed this Facebook cheering part missed a lot.
Coming to the match itself; like the whole country, I too felt so happy for Sachin. He deserves this and the better thing is the whole team were united, charged and motivated to gift these winning moments to the immortal stalwart. The tears which stayed in my eyes after winning, rolled down seeing Yuvi, Dhoni, Sachin, Bhajji cry. I didn't mind crying for this reason. If I remember, the last time I broke into tears was some 14 years back when I got EAMCET results :D
I'm so happy for captain cool as he needed that knock badly. After teaching India how to make winning a habit by getting T20 championship, ICC test ranking - 1, ICC ODI ranking - 2 (now 1:) under his leadership, and after proving what he is made of on and behind wickets, he still needed to make some runs to prove his mettle. Critics who have seen bad phases of demigods like Gavaskar and Tendulkar didn't realize the age old cliche that form is temporary but class is permanent. 11 members can play but captain is a joining thread and if anybody deserves the credit for world cup victory, its him for his team selection, field placement, order shuffling and above all his leadership and driving the unity and momentum, period ! Gary Kirsten's services were priceless too.
Sachin and Sehwag with their intimidating starts,Yuvi with his purple patch, Zak with his deadly missiles, Gambhir, Kohli and Raina with electric fielding and dependable middle order consolidation, Ashwin, Nehra, Munaf, Bhajji who proved that bowling is not India's weakness, taught the world what wonders can teamwork do. Sreesanth, Piyush, Yousuf can be forgiven in this utopia :).
Going back to my post match revelry, I was never so dotty is an understatement :) I violated all traffic rules, jumped signals, honked like crazy for no reason, hopped with joy, jumped with ecstasy, hugged some 100 people, screamed at every Indian looking guy, distributed sweets (bought at Sri Lankan store), shouted at my loudest voice before TV cameras. To keep it short, I was WILD.
I so wanted to write this post in the blog since yesterday but I was too busy with celebrations. Lot of my friends and cousins reminded me repeatedly to document the day in blog which I felt very sweet and humbling. Guys, this is for you. I was so surprised to see that my previous article Bleed Blue - De Ghumake gathered a whopping 263 views in 3 days, more than that of any of my previous articles. I'm sure a lot of them might have thought that article was about World Cup Victory. This post is also for them all :)
Till yesterday my Hawaii recount article was the most viewed article of the blog which had to bow to the cricket maniac world of readers :)
To conclude, just wanted to keep you informed that Bleed Blue became Bled Blue; De Ghumaake became Diya Ghumake; and I'm Loving It :))

4 comments:
Yeah , I tooo don't want to come out of this hang over ..!! :))
MERA BHARATH MAHAAN ..!! :))
Despite many castes, creeds, languages, etc Cricket is only thing that unites us all Indians .... sāre jahāñ se acchā hindostāñ hamārā !!
It sure was a Captain's innings and Dhoni has a new found respect from me. I am elated and dont want to come out of it and I suppose its very hard, so I am not even trying. We are Champions for God's sake!!
I loved cheering along with ya!
Its a shame for those who doesnt want to associate themselves with such a stupendous victory. Its their loss totally! Very sad. :D
I cried everytime I saw Sachin and actually I was crying throughout the celebrations. They were tears of joy, pride and all mixed emotions!! I HAD THE BEST TIME!!
Santhu, Sree, Shravya: I can't agree more :)
Post a Comment