Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2018

My Journey through Filmmaking !

It's good to be back to the wordplay mode after a hiatus of almost 8 months. I certainly missed interacting with many friends on social media, but the break from all the scrolling through senseless forwards and shares on FB and Whatapp has been refreshing and revitalizing. Also the social media detox after 10 years was much needed for me not to potentially fall into the narcissistic trap which comes with the virtual interactions that can't always be construed on face value.

Once I deactivated by fb, whatsapp, insta and twitter, I had all the time in the world to retrospect my work life,  rediscover my business ambitions and reigniting latent possibilities. I would like to believe that the time was utilized well and hope the awaiting results coincide with my belief.  Another boost came in the way of expansion of The Saharsh Project and our family just breached the 100 mark.

But in years to come, I would remember 2018 for another development. Last year I could juggle between work, education, travel and many more avocations in addition to the social media obsession. This year was relatively calm and despite work assignments, I had a lot of time to cultivate and inculcate myself with a new hobby. I have been camera crazy since forever but I hit a moment of reckoning when I started self-learning camera to it's full potential. Earlier I was brandishing my DSLR at family vacations and thought I was good at photography but only after I learnt a bit of camera did I realize that not everybody who owned a DSLR was a photographer the way everybody who owned a pen wouldn't be an author.

My perennial passion has been writing and was writing more of non-fiction through this very blog till recently because that was my way of expression, an outlet. For the first time I gave a thought of expressing through camera and the In the Feelings - Kiki Challenge happened. I don't know what prompted the ladies in the video to trust my sensibilities sans any experience but they obliged to perform. While it's not the best of creative works, we all were happy with what came out considering the impulsive, inexperienced effort. I can't thank my friends enough for keeping up with my supposedly creative demands. But the more rewarding and enriching experience than the filming was editing. Learning the craft was an uphill ordeal but once I got the elements, I realized it could be quite an hobby in itself. To keep the fire going, I also edited the video clips we took in Greece last year and produced Em Sandeham Ledu - Reprisal.

In between all these, some other development occurred. Few months back, I was browsing through some news article and stumbled into a very interesting, unimaginable article which blew my mind into pieces. My first response was to write a story based on that, my first attempt at fiction. Halfway through, I felt I could convey it to larger audience if I translate that into a visual medium. First thought of a docudrama and then graduated the idea to make a short-film. My family heard the story and were more intrigued than I was which lent me a kind of reinforcement. But they believed I could do a better job with proper planning and execution than a half baked one. So they gave me the actual impetus to sign up Tamasoma. And a journey thus began.

The journey started with story writing, then moved to screenplay writing, character arc development and other pre-production work. The day came when we handpicked actors to play certain roles and picked up courage to ask them if they could act in my 'directorial'. Except one, all characters were written with certain people in mind and when I narrated the story to them, they kindly obliged, albeit with some reservations, I suppose. The people I wanted to work were those whom I knew personally and thought they would fit the bill to the T and whom I know I could get along well because that was more crucial for me. Building that team was easier than I thought. Like-minded people joined the crew and before I could realize, we were a 15 people team (production and post-production combined).

On the parallel track, I was learning crafts of film making, camera movements, cranes, gimbals, lighting equipment, sound, dialogue writing etc. Everything for the first time and I can't express how exhilarating and exhausting each phase was. My cast and crew were rock-solid beside me and I'm sure they did everything not to let me down despite noticing my amateurism. Every single person delivered everything I wanted and required on and off screen. They also came to terms with my re-shooting entire sequences 3-4 times without rolling their eyes. I still wonder what made them oblige to so many of my silly antics and tantrums. Thank you guys and love you all for your support and I apologize in advance if I won't be able to translate your hard work and conviction onscreen.

The production of the movie was fun and more like a picnic barring production design where I and the team had to run pillar to post to get logistics arranged. The movie making experience was diagonally different from music video reprisals or travelogue videos because there was screenplay, dialogues involved and we had to make sure every scene conveys the story to audiences in the way I imagined. After a month of shooting, post-production began which was another uphill task, more exhausting than the shooting itself. My editor (a professional guy who worked with teams of RGV etc) has been extremely patient, knowledgeable and is doing an able job. I'm waiting to witness his skill on the final product. Background music and foley is underway and is helmed by another old acquaintance who worked with teams of AR Rahman and Hiphop Thamizha.

As mentioned earlier, my conviction was that I could convey the story better as a movie than a blog article but I'm not sure how successful am I (or would I be) because I could see how unfledged, raw and callow my work as a director was and how I can do a better job now after going through the end to end movie making life cycle. I might have been haughty and cocky for believing that I could deliver magic without any training but without that presumptuousness and arrogance, I would not even have ventured anything into these waters and I'm glad I did it.

I hope the audience would watch the movie through my eyes and enjoy the story and the experience because as we began our marketing, this is one story which wasn't told in world cinema as yet. Our creative naivete may get under criticism (which we welcome wholeheartedly) but the story line won't. I promise the audience won't be disappointed about the story if they could be a bit lenient on our inexperience.

For those who asked me why did I only address intense subjects (like in In the Feelings - Kiki Challenge and now with Tamasoma), watch out for my take on love and romance in a video to be uploaded tomorrow at CutMirchi Media. Oh, by the way, we rebranded the channel from Myriad Tales to CutMirchi Media in an anticipation to indulge ourselves in serious visual media experiments.

So you will see more of my work and possibly myself on screen soon (but not acting or running around trees..). Watch out, Dear Friends !



No comments:

Post a Comment