I know mothers' day is around the corner. Though we don't need any particular day to love our mother, dedicating a day to celebrate and acknowledge how important she is doesn't harm because we don't do that everyday. This post is not to show how much I love my mom or vice-versa because it would be foolish of me to do that for the simple reason that mother-son relationship and love is beyond expressions, beyond words in general and for me in particular.
My mom was 16 when she was just out of the depression of her father's untimely demise which struck her big-time. Once a bright student and a career oriented person, she could not cope with up the depression, pressure, lack of exposure, direction, sponsorship and ended up being a 10th fail student before she got married at 16. When I was born, she was 17 years old. Yes, you read it right.
She started a new life with new ambition and that was to provide me a life which she always wanted and dreamt for herself. But she was naive enough to ward off all kinds of hardships and humiliations she faced. At 17, with no much social sense, contacts, street smartness, education, support, knowledge, legacy she had to face a mammoth task of fighting against all odds and raising me to make her dreams come true. So her second life literally started with my birth. So it would be apt to say that me and my mom grew together :)
In another two years, my sister was born and at 19, my mom was a mother of two. Then she realized she had to grow beyond her capabilities and constraints to understand what was right for us. The lady who was matriculation failed before marriage, with her iron will, took up education along with us. In the next fifteen years of continuous education, attending colleges, courses she completed her BA, CLSc, BLSc, typewriting lower, higher and took a part-time vocation of tutoring 10 school students upto their 10th class. This was to improve her own knowledge which she missed during her education, to develop her communication and add up few quick bucks. Later, nothing stopped her from grabbing a job as a librarian at Osmania University Engineering college and thus started her career at 31 and she didn't look back since then.
Now when I meet kids of next generation, I feel left out and unmatched to their body language, exposure and acumen. But my mom was always ahead of her next generation. Lot of people would be surprised to know that my mom taught me how to use a computer. She knew MS Office well before I knew how to switch on the computer. She created her email id well before I knew what was internet. Even today she explains nuances of using internet which I didn't know earlier. We started watching cricket since 1987 world cup and since then she has been a cricket maniac more than me.
In recent movies like Taare Zameen Par or 3 Idiots, it was shown that parents should not direct children in their education, but I'm glad my mom did that for me. She was more informed, knowledgeable and dynamic enough to research and direct me in the way which was beneficial for me. She researched every college I applied for including intermediate, engineering, MBA and even US universities I applied for MS. Everything worked out only to my benefit. The only thing I couldn't agree to her direction was when she wanted me to pursue IAS seriously. I felt I'm not intellectually and morally made to get into that direction but my mom had supreme confidence in my general knowledge and aptitude :)
My mom's contribution to my professional success has been matchless and am sure nobody else would have been luckier than me. But what I learnt from her just by observing her has been much more. So her impact on my personal life, social presence and behavior has been immense and those who know both of us can vouch for that :)
Her social presence is immaculate and I didn't see anybody in my life who could steal the show or limelight in her presence. Period ! We all are used to the kind of insecurity she imparts on her peers, colleagues and we are equally habituated to awe my friends and my sister's friends express when they meet my mom. Neither me nor my sister inherited her charm, wit and that unique quality of being a cynosure in social circles.
Her confidence has been supreme and we never witnessed any moment when she was afraid of anybody in her whole life. Her "care a damn" attitude is something I emulate sub-consciously. She never taught me to be a fighter, but just showed me what it is all about and I went on to follow her and here I'm.
Unlike orthodox mothers, my mom was always supportive of love marriages and she was more than happy when I introduced my wife (then gf) to her. Rather my mom was relieved as she didn't have to accompany me in rating girls whom we stare at in malls or public places :D...She was such a friend that I stopped calling her amma and addressed her with her petname, Bujji for past many years :)
She went out of her way to make her daughter-in-law comfortable as she was wary of apprehensions a girl comes with when she enters her husband's house. The only person whom I'm afraid of in this world is my mom and the only person who is not afraid of my mom is my wife because of the comfort level they share and the pampering she receives from my mom :D
Thanks to her early marriage, she's done with her responsibilities as my sister's marriage and my marriage happened by the time my mom turned 44. She became a grand mother at 46. Now she is busy pursuing her hobbies like reading, traveling. She traveled more than me. She saw every place in US which I saw and most places in Canada and more than what I have seen in India. Last month my parents have been to North India trip which they planned and executed meticulously. As always, she didn't depend on her children to research, book hotels and packages through web and discover new places and am so proud of her :) This is something I want to emulate again :D
So my mom is not only about the motherly love but also about being a lifetime friend who grew with me, who molded an attitude for herself which I couldn't resist but follow. She has been my lifeline, my happiness has been directly proportional to her happiness and well being. Some people tried to tease me that am momma's boy without realizing that I take pride in being my momma's boy :)
Bujji, I know telling you that I love you is an understatement, but can't resist as there is no better phrase coined yet. Love you not just for being for me, but for being in me. Happy Mother's Day. As always, miss being with you !
PS: Festive season is soon going to start in my household
May 11 - My marriage anniversary
May 14 - My sister's marriage anniversary
May 16 - My parents' marriage anniversary
All set for varothsavalu :) and am looking forward to sharing more posts about my family in coming blog-posts. Get ready for the assault :D
My mom was 16 when she was just out of the depression of her father's untimely demise which struck her big-time. Once a bright student and a career oriented person, she could not cope with up the depression, pressure, lack of exposure, direction, sponsorship and ended up being a 10th fail student before she got married at 16. When I was born, she was 17 years old. Yes, you read it right.
She started a new life with new ambition and that was to provide me a life which she always wanted and dreamt for herself. But she was naive enough to ward off all kinds of hardships and humiliations she faced. At 17, with no much social sense, contacts, street smartness, education, support, knowledge, legacy she had to face a mammoth task of fighting against all odds and raising me to make her dreams come true. So her second life literally started with my birth. So it would be apt to say that me and my mom grew together :)
In another two years, my sister was born and at 19, my mom was a mother of two. Then she realized she had to grow beyond her capabilities and constraints to understand what was right for us. The lady who was matriculation failed before marriage, with her iron will, took up education along with us. In the next fifteen years of continuous education, attending colleges, courses she completed her BA, CLSc, BLSc, typewriting lower, higher and took a part-time vocation of tutoring 10 school students upto their 10th class. This was to improve her own knowledge which she missed during her education, to develop her communication and add up few quick bucks. Later, nothing stopped her from grabbing a job as a librarian at Osmania University Engineering college and thus started her career at 31 and she didn't look back since then.
In recent movies like Taare Zameen Par or 3 Idiots, it was shown that parents should not direct children in their education, but I'm glad my mom did that for me. She was more informed, knowledgeable and dynamic enough to research and direct me in the way which was beneficial for me. She researched every college I applied for including intermediate, engineering, MBA and even US universities I applied for MS. Everything worked out only to my benefit. The only thing I couldn't agree to her direction was when she wanted me to pursue IAS seriously. I felt I'm not intellectually and morally made to get into that direction but my mom had supreme confidence in my general knowledge and aptitude :)
My mom's contribution to my professional success has been matchless and am sure nobody else would have been luckier than me. But what I learnt from her just by observing her has been much more. So her impact on my personal life, social presence and behavior has been immense and those who know both of us can vouch for that :)
Her social presence is immaculate and I didn't see anybody in my life who could steal the show or limelight in her presence. Period ! We all are used to the kind of insecurity she imparts on her peers, colleagues and we are equally habituated to awe my friends and my sister's friends express when they meet my mom. Neither me nor my sister inherited her charm, wit and that unique quality of being a cynosure in social circles.
Her confidence has been supreme and we never witnessed any moment when she was afraid of anybody in her whole life. Her "care a damn" attitude is something I emulate sub-consciously. She never taught me to be a fighter, but just showed me what it is all about and I went on to follow her and here I'm.
Unlike orthodox mothers, my mom was always supportive of love marriages and she was more than happy when I introduced my wife (then gf) to her. Rather my mom was relieved as she didn't have to accompany me in rating girls whom we stare at in malls or public places :D...She was such a friend that I stopped calling her amma and addressed her with her petname, Bujji for past many years :)
She went out of her way to make her daughter-in-law comfortable as she was wary of apprehensions a girl comes with when she enters her husband's house. The only person whom I'm afraid of in this world is my mom and the only person who is not afraid of my mom is my wife because of the comfort level they share and the pampering she receives from my mom :D
Thanks to her early marriage, she's done with her responsibilities as my sister's marriage and my marriage happened by the time my mom turned 44. She became a grand mother at 46. Now she is busy pursuing her hobbies like reading, traveling. She traveled more than me. She saw every place in US which I saw and most places in Canada and more than what I have seen in India. Last month my parents have been to North India trip which they planned and executed meticulously. As always, she didn't depend on her children to research, book hotels and packages through web and discover new places and am so proud of her :) This is something I want to emulate again :D
So my mom is not only about the motherly love but also about being a lifetime friend who grew with me, who molded an attitude for herself which I couldn't resist but follow. She has been my lifeline, my happiness has been directly proportional to her happiness and well being. Some people tried to tease me that am momma's boy without realizing that I take pride in being my momma's boy :)
Bujji, I know telling you that I love you is an understatement, but can't resist as there is no better phrase coined yet. Love you not just for being for me, but for being in me. Happy Mother's Day. As always, miss being with you !
PS: Festive season is soon going to start in my household
May 11 - My marriage anniversary
May 14 - My sister's marriage anniversary
May 16 - My parents' marriage anniversary
All set for varothsavalu :) and am looking forward to sharing more posts about my family in coming blog-posts. Get ready for the assault :D
17 comments:
ther Excellent One Anna ..!! Liked It Very Much ..!! Aunty Gurinchi Chala Vishayalu Telisayi Ippudu ..!!
OMG.. what a profile Chandu, Good to know about her, i really admire her of having such an ironic will power!! Hats Off!!!! And at the end i liked your festive season "MAY"
Well written Sharat. You can add to this when you become a parent yourself. That will give you a whole new perspective into what it takes to be a Mom and such a commendable one at that. Nice insights into your childhood and bonding with ur mom. Keep up the good work !
Lucky Mom :) Lovely Son:)
You know what I feel about the Samudrala-Gandrakota gang :) and this post just reinforces my feelings :).
and true Chandu, a mom grows with the kids!!
Hey Chandugaru nd Hema..
Kudos to Mom...!Way to go folks..We are indeed lucky ones to have such lovley parents.. tears roll down when i read this..I have to soon stop editing now and call meri ammijaan and Papaa!!
Happy Blogging..gud day!!
lovely.............
Well said Anayya, and next to u I'm the one who witnessed everything u mentioned here. I have many a times tried to be like her but failed miserably. I feel proud to say that "No one can be so hardworking, dedicated, fearless, strong, charming and confident as her". Love U Mom..more than anything and anyone in this world.
Yet another true and honest post anna. Now,you despite being this honest humanbeing, I wonder why did you question your own morality to become an IAS officer ?? Did you watch Indian news recently :) they reflect our moral standards!
looking forward to your next post.
Sree /
I'm lucky to have the most coolest & tech-savvy Mother-in-law, anybody can ever ask for :) I was bowled over by her charming persona when I first had a chat with her! We connected instantly and since then we have been the best of friends & partners in crime ;) We have had best times together, be it traveling, watching movies, shopping or playing in slot machines at Casino :)) Life is more exciting with her around...
I can go on and on and on....!
Love you Amma :) A big hug to you for being the person you are and constantly inspiring us through our lives!
A very happy Mother's Day to all the lovely Mothers on Earth :) You rule the World!
Thanks Santhosh, Prayaga. Will convey your thoughts to mom :)
Thanks Swapna, sure will add :)
Thanks Rama :)
Thanks Sree, for admiring our family :)
@ Sreevani: Thanks for feeling good about the post :)
@ Chitti: Lets not try anymore :D
@Sreekanth: hahaha, I meant, am kinda selfish and ambitious in building my own career and earning for me and my family rather than thinking about putting effort in developing the society.
I feel bad about that but thats how I have been. Hence told am morally not made to go for IAS :-|
Early married mothers are the dictionaries of real life... you are lucky...secondly we are lucky for having associated with such a mother who is quite pleasing to all in spite of her sweet troubles for her family and children at her early days... we all wish her a happy journey in future pleasant career, sweet home and with you lovely children. I always observe you children both makes her feel as if you are with her only.. Continue the same ... best of luck all of you and especially Sri S.S.Raoji, for having blessed with such a good life partner.
Gud one Chandu !
Ur Mom is so lovely..Good to know about her..
Nice post..Moms are always wonderful :)
Thanks mamayya, Rekkha, Gayathri :)
Post a Comment