Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani !!!

Few days back, when I posted the link showing Toronto as one of the most liveable cities in the world as my orkut status message, immediately I got a spate of hate messages which all mean “Why are you so proud if Canadian city appears in the list ? Are you an Indian or Canadian? Are you trying to show off your new found love towards Canada ?” and many more...huh...

I see many of my NRI friends don’t have good words for their current countries of residence. May be thats the way they show their patriotism and love to Mother India. And there are my good old buddies and relatives back home in India who mock me as an escapist or opportunist who slogs to develop foreign countries :)

And whenever I say a word of respect to Canada or feel good about the country, these people see me with despise :). So it is expected that if I love my home country, I have to hate Canada, don’t appreciate Canadian lifestyle and chant only “Mera Bharat Mahaan”

Lemme tell you guys, thats not me !

My question to all those who say that I slog to develop foreign countries: Do you know that I used to work for US clients even when I was a Business Development Manager of a software company back in Hyderabad? Today, lakhs of engineering graduates, MBA’s, MCA’s who work for software and few other industries in India too slog to develop foreign countries. I just do it from out of India to earn more bucks, thats the difference. And, it doesn’t mean that you are developing India if you reside in India :)

I pity all those who mock NRI’s life style as pseudo lifestyle and their trials to become one among the locals as fake. My simple question: Can you accept any non Indian residing in India if he/she doesn’t mingle among you? How many residents of India religiously follow Indian lifestyle, indigenous products and desi technology in their day to day life? The intensity and magnitude might differ, but dependence on foreign technology or lifestyle is an integral part of most Indians. AND-ITS-NOT-BAD.

If you are in an alien place, fall in love with that place. Thats the least thing you can do to express your gratitude to the place which shaped your education, profession, career, your outlook and improved you in more than one ways, financially of course. And it definitely doesn’t mean that your love towards home country is demeaned.

I express my respect to my current country of residence. This is the place which gave me an identity and whatever I’m now, I owe it to my association with Toronto and Canada. Is that a matter of shame? If I don’t like this place, why would I be here? Why shouldn’t I celebrate development and recognition to my new abode?

In the same breath, I love to see the name “India” in local newspapers, follow Indian politics, cheer for Indian sports teams, celebrate Indian festivals, watch Bollywood and Tollywood movies, feel for terror victims in India, feel good about developments, reforms, feel proud of accomplishments, sub-consciously look at India everytime I see the world map. Though I don’t say India is the best country in the world, that doesn’t stop myself from being proud of my identity, my roots, my Indianness. After all, we don’t need to be the best to love or respect ourselves.

I respect and show-off my association with Canada, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani..aur Woh Hamesha Hindustani Hi Rahega ! Its not the matter of choice, its destiny, identity and pride.

- Chandu Hyderabadi

2 comments:

Sree said...

That is a true blue Hyderabadi spirit... and you are cent percent right about the land of residence and land of birth..

Chandu said...

@ Sree: Thanks :)

Post a Comment