I just finished watching Ayushmann Khurrana’s
hard hitting film “Article 15” and could not resist even a minute writing this
post. The movie didn’t show anything we don’t know. It’s about abject caste
discrimination, prejudice, untouchability etc which we read, hear and watch
often and forget conveniently.
There’s a dialogue in the movie which loosely
translates into saying that more manual scavengers die on duty than soldiers at
border. There’s also a scene where a manual scavenger is shown rising from
filth in a gutter with lumps of sewage on his naked body only to dive back into
the same gutter to complete his job. I honestly felt my stomach churned and
guts blown. Been long time when some scenes in a movie made me personally
guilty and shameful.
I hope everybody who reads this article,
for a moment imagine themselves cleaning filth from the gutters under toilets
of others or working on funeral grounds cleaning up after dead are cremated.
Imagine others washing their hands after you shook their hands or others
throwing the food you prepared in garbage just because you do menial job which
they can’t and don’t do for themselves.
For us urban, educated, well-settled,
well-informed people, our ego will be terribly hurt when our group of friends exclude
us from their weekend gatherings. We feel upset when we don’t earn or dress or
show-off like our neighbors or friends. Just think, there are 16% of Indian population
who are untouchables just because they are born into a certain caste and hence
forced to do a job which you don’t want to do. And if you think this happens
only in rural pockets of India and caste discrimination doesn’t happen among ‘progressive
and thinking’ Indians (or diaspora), you are either naive or living in denial or
both.
I’m born in a supposedly upper caste
associated with priesthood but never associated with any lifestyle that comes
with that tag. The first time I ever contemplated about caste was during engineering
college admissions where caste equations played a major role. And I hated caste-based
reservations which denied me admission in any college in my city because I was
put in a privileged category despite hailing from a working-class family. I had
been a strong opponent of such reservations and also wrote earlier blog posts
advocating merit-based admission against caste-based reservations.
But with age comes wisdom and with information
change opinions. As I saw the world more, I started realizing that meritocracy (priority
to merit or skill) would mean that only those with merit, skill, knowledge
would be given all opportunities and only they can lead a happy life. And those
lesser mortals who couldn’t develop skills for any reason (socio-economic, learning abilities or demographic) would be denied a happy life, which I believe, is gross
injustice.
A kid born to a manual scavenger who struggles for 2 meals a day for
his family wouldn’t be in a same mental state of mind to compete with a privileged
convent educated kid for some college admission because skill-development
is dependent on various factors. If discrimination was done on the basis of
caste, reservation too should be on the same parameter. So giving more
opportunities to the lesser privileged is the obvious solution and reservations
should remain. I know people from my community would lynch me for saying this,
but this is how I have evolved today.
I know there are many people from scheduled
castes who progressed, thanks to reservation and there should be a mechanism to
take such people out of the reservations system and lesser privileged people from the same community should be offered such opportunities instead. But that’s easier
said than done because vote banks and political equations mean more than social
justice.
The irony of this era is that most of those
who complain against caste-based reservations themselves aren’t oblivious of
their own caste affiliations. That applies equally to rural parts of India to
diaspora in US or Canada etc. NRI’s may not practice blatant untouchability because
they are “modern and progressive” but most of them want to be friends with only
those belonging to their own caste. They want only their caste people to occupy
positions of recognition whether it’s at their workplace, community events, civic
elections or even beauty pageants. The kind of unity they display and heavy
lobbying they resort to for their caste is amusing and loathsome at the same
time.
When I spoke about this sometime back, a wise
man questioned me that when we get together with others belonging to our country,
culture, language etc what’s wrong in grouping within our caste? Huh, there’s an
inherent flaw in this logic. We associate with our fellow countrymen because we
have a commonality whether in terms of culture, heritage, way of life but even
that doesn’t warrant discrimination against others or nepotism towards our own.
When we group with people who speak the same language, there’s a commonality, which is easy communication. In case of country, ethnicity, language, there is
a group identity we associate for our own convenience, lifestyle or communication.
WHAT THE HELL IS COMMON AMONG TWO PEOPLE OF THE SAME CASTE WHICH THEY DON’T SEE
IN OTHERS?
What’s a Reddy or a Yadav or a Brahmin / Kapu
/ Goud / Chowdary do within their own community which they can’t do with person
from another caste ? N.O.T.H.I.N.G. It’s not group identity. It’s the way they
were raised, they were told how important their own community was, how inferior
or bad others were. When NRI’s too resort to such school of thought and inculcate
the same in their kids too, it’s a travesty and a mockery of all their
education and knowledge. It's cancer.
As long as the fake pride in caste identity
remains, bigotry against other castes will remain too. As long as some castes live in superiority complex, there will be some others who will be discriminated
against and their generations will live waging a war for self-respect and identity.
PS: For
those who think I’m being self-righteous or sanctimonious, not even 5% of my
friends belong to my caste. I never attend my caste-based events. I don’t follow
or even acknowledge the existence of such events. I hope my kids never ask or
know what caste they belong to because they don’t belong to any. And I’m not taking
any pride in this because I believe this is how normal human beings should
behave.
Signing off !
5 comments:
"If discrimination was done on the basis of caste, reservation too should be on the same parameter" - very logical and true. I believe the reservation system should be revamped as per today's age. It should not be based on caste alone. Today, not all backward caste people are poor and upper caste people are rich. Socio economic factors should be taken into consideration for reservations.
Also, I liked the example of the NRIs' attitude/mindset which is brought up. It is a truly a travesty and a huge mockery to all their degrees and education.
Lovely writeup 👏
Though provoking and mind striking post. Hope atleast few people change their mindset after reading this. Kudos to you as always and so proud of you.
Humanity is called ‘Mankind’ for a reason. The day a human being realizes what humanity is and starts thinking with a rationale, we as mankind would emerge victorious for what we were envisioned for.
I watched Article 15 and cannot agree more with you on all aspects.
Great post and spawns many thought provoking questions and provides answers as well... Glad to see someone trying to be pioneer of change.
Hard topic, Super one mama, Howdy Sarath! By the way you didn't talked about a caste (my caste🤔) called "engineers" and sub caste "mighty mechanical".
If the primary education is good and strong, we can see the reduction of this disease going forward.
I had seen the movie a while ago, very disturbing but very well made and close to reality. Manual scavenging is the stinking stigma and the disgusting reality of India :(, Syam has been following it up for a while, some people are actively working on it but nothing is enough :( and it is a shame. The facts and figures of death/disease are staggering and a shame to humanity :( in this time and age.
Also, I totally relate to what you say on reservation, we got to know about it in inter when choosing the career option, how back breaking it was for our parents in the FC category, the hot and young blood at that point just saw how we were deprived of a fair chance but could not relate as to how by virtue of birth we were far ahead in terms of learning opportunities than many of those "actually deserving people in remote corners, still struggling to walk and eat and drink or even breathe air at some places :( :(, we struggled, survived and emerged albeit a bit bitter at that point but now, like You I figured some would not have come out of drudgery and darkness... while caste based reservation is still needed in some areas, economic reservation irrespective of caste and voluntary giving up of this reservation after making the most of it for generations together by well placed people should make a dent in reforms..
Post a Comment