Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs

Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

My tales about Aashiqui & Aashiqui 2

I know a lot of people who claim Aashiqui to be their favorite music album. For me, it goes much beyond that. I was 10 when the movie released and till then I had no particular favorites among movies, songs, actors etc.

One fine day in a song program chitrahar, I saw this song "Nazar ke saamne" which stuck my ears and I got unusually addicted to that. Next few days, I got my parents buy me a music system and I purchased my first ever audio cassette "Aashiqui" with my pocket money for Rs.16.

The kind of words used in those lyrics were part urdu and part poetic hindi which I hadn't come across earlier in my bookish hindi references, I didn't know who the actors were, forget about the music director or singers. But those songs stirred my tender soul in a very big way. Such a big way that from that day till date I've been listening to those songs continually at least once a month...yes, for the last 23 years.

Aashiqui's album has a song for every emotion. If you ever fell in love, ever heartbroken, ever in awe, ever in anticipation, ever in romance - you would know what I meant. It was a collection of anthems. It was sheer poetic, romantic, soul-stirring and EPIC.

Thus Aashiqui's music opened floodgates to my music sense, but also more notably transitioned me from childhood to adolescence and further to adulthood. I enjoyed melody, music through those haunting renditions and understood the essence of the word "favorite". Nadeem Shravan became my default favorite musician duo and Kumar Sanu, the GOD.

The hangover spilled over to similar instrument and rhythm driven melodies of Saajan, Sadak, Deewana, Phool Aur Kaante, Dil Hai Ki Maanta Nahin, Sapne Saajan Ke, Dil ka Kya Kasoor, Dilwale, Jaan Tere Naam and many more till 1995. My wife often says that I got stuck in early 90's which in a way is true. No music genre did that magic to me later on. Close on the heels come Ilayaraja and RD Burman-Kishoreda immortal classics.

Even today, Aashiqui's album is formidably placed as the most number of music units sold in the history of Bollywood at 1,50,000. Only 3 other movie albums could cross 1,00,000. This proves I'm not the only crazy fellow around :)

Fast forward to 2013: When Mahesh Bhatt announced the making of Aashiqui 2, I got terribly disappointed and felt somebody was ripping off a part of my heart. Moreover am not a big fan of Bhatt camp's steamy flicks genre which was at its nadir with Sunny Leone's jism sequel or whatever. Aashiqui music was so close to my heart that I deliberately avoided the music album of the sequel. Didn't even heed to the noise created among chartbuster arena. But yesterday I reluctantly bought the DVD and watched the movie today.

Honestly (and surprisingly) I liked the movie, narrative and the interwoven music. Or maybe I liked it because I saw it with rock bottom expectations with a huge grudge and ego. Though there are some technical glitches like immature acting, ametuer taking etc, I felt this is one of the honest and intense love stories of recent times. A true romance, a melodramatic love which takes viewers to peaks of emotion, which melts hearts, which chokes throats and which stirs souls; or maybe it's just I who felt that; or maybe you must watch it with heart !

And something I hate to admit is that I loved the music too. 'Tum hi ho' is hopelessly addictive and so is "sun raha hai na tu" (especially female version sung by Shreya is matchless). Since history can't be repeated, the magic of Aashiqui can never be recreated, but Aashiqui 2 with it's intense love story and haunting music stands firmly.

2 comments:

Sree said...

Nazarke saamne.. even today gives me goose bumps and saasonki zaroorat hai jaise... one better than the other and precisely for the reason you mentioned above did not watch Ashiqui -2, did not want to wipe away the magic of part 1 watching the next but will try now.. thanks for the review!

Chandu said...

Nice to know somebody else in the same boat ;)

Post a Comment